DAAD Language Certificate (English)
Students who need a DAAD language certificate for a semester abroad, a research stay or an internship can register for our level test, which we offer two to three times per semester. The next dates are:
- Tuesday 18 October 2022, 9.30-12.00 (more information will be provided after you register).
- Tuesday, November 22, 2022, 9.30-12.00 (more information will be provided after you register).
- Tuesday, December 13, 2022, 9.30-12.00 (more information will be provided after you register).
- Tuesday, January 17, 2023, 9.30-12.00 (more information will be provided after you register).
Please note that a prior registration is required. To register for the test, please fill out the contact form at least one week before the desired test date.
As the number of places for each test date is limited, priority will be given to those students who have to meet upcoming application deadlines. When registering for a test date, please mention therefore the deadline you need to meet and the purpose you need the language certificate for (e.g. a study trip). When you are registered (your registration will be confirmed via e-mail), please fill out the first page of this document and send it to Vanessa Arnold, M.A. before the test.
You will be notified of your results and (if applicable) your certificate will be issued to you within one week of taking the test.
SOME GENERAL INFORMATION
The computer-based test lasts approximately 1 hour and consists of the following three language skills: reading, writing and listening. In the written test you will be required to:
- do a listening comprehension task (approx. 15 minutes)
- read a text and answer a variety of questions based on it (approximately 25 minutes)
- write one or two short texts (approx. 25 minutes)
The oral part will be conducted in groups of 3 students (plus one or two examiners) and will last approximately 15 minutes for each group.
This is not a pass/fail exam. This test will simply inform you/us of your language level in English (i.e. A1-C1). The best way to prepare for the exam is to practice those four skills mentioned above; however, it is not possible to change language levels within a few weeks/days. For that reason, if you do not achieve the level that you need, you will not be allowed to take the exam again until the following semester.
Please note that the assessment can only be taken by BHT students.